Cutting-edge Radiation Oncology
The new Trilogy linear accelerator, located in the newly renovated Radiation Oncology department on the North Kansas City Hospital campus, enables treatment for a wide variety of modalities using a single machine. This allows Northland patients to seek treatment close to home.
The versatile Trilogy system is optimized for multiple forms of treatment, from external-beam radiation therapy to radiosurgery. It also delivers 3D conformal radiotherapy, IMRT, stereotactic radiosurgery and fractionated stereotactic radiation therapy for cancer and neurosurgical treatment.
"The new Trilogy linear accelerator is state-of-the-art equipment that enables the clinic to treat all facets of radiation needs," explains David Deer, MD, the radiation oncologist with The University of Kansas Cancer Center who practices at the office on the campus of North Kansas City Hospital. To enhance patient care, this multidisciplinary approach includes radiation oncologists, medical oncologists and a surgical team.
Features and Benefits
The radiotherapy technology is a new form of image-guided, intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT). Image guidance improves tumor targeting, and the IMRT shapes the radiation doses to conform closely to the three-dimensional shape of the tumor, sparing healthy tissues to an extent unimaginable only a few years ago.
Treatment is also faster. In less than two minutes, a complete IMRT treatment can be delivered with a single 360° rotation of the machine around the patient. The entire tumor volume receives the radiation dose during this one revolution.
The versatile new system also adds more powerful advanced motion-management capabilities. This expands the options for treating moving tumors by utilizing 4D scanning techniques and incorporating them into the treatment planning process. Calypso image guidance is also available on the new system, which has been FDA approved for the treatment of prostate cancer.
- External beam therapies, including 3D CRT, IMRT, IGRT or DAR
- Multiple dose-rate options – up to 1,000mu/min for efficient SRS delivery
- 2D and 3D KV image guidance for higher quality imaging at lower doses
- Full 360° range of treatment delivery angles with positional couch angle
- Stereotactic radiation for treatment of intracranial and extracranial tumors – treats any area of the body
- RapidArc® with advanced motion management and open third-party interface
- Dynamic high-resolution MLC for exquisite beam sculpting
- Highest dose rate for shorter sessions
- Faster treatment times
- Tight isocenter alignments on all three axes – targets the smallest lesions
- Rapid on-board imaging – repositions patients quickly and accurately
- Cone-beam CT– fine tunes patient setups with ultra-precise CT scans
David Deer, MD
What’s next? The Trilogy was recently fitted with Calypso GPS for the Body®, technology that provides accurate, precise, real-time tracking to keep radiation focused on moving tumors, including prostate.
To learn more, call 816-691-5216.