The Bariatric Center at North Kansas City Hospital—the only surgical weight loss center in the Northland—offers proven surgical weight loss options and total support for the journey to a new you. Our full-service Center and skilled, compassionate team provide everything you need for lifelong success with weight control.
Your Partner for Surgical Weight Loss
You’re never alone in your weight loss journey at the Bariatric Center. Our highly qualified, compassionate team is deeply committed to helping you reach your personal weight loss goals. We offer a full range of life-changing services in one location. Here’s what you can expect from us:
- Enjoy peace of mind knowing you’ll be treated by a board-certified surgeon with advanced training in laparoscopic surgery who has performed more than 400 bariatric procedures.
- Get ongoing encouragement and education from our professional team and our support group before and after surgery.
- Learn to identify your triggers for overeating and how to deal with them in new ways with the help of our board-certified psychiatrist.
- Learn healthy eating habits from a dietitian who will work with you before and after surgery.
- Let our insurance advisors guide you through the complex process of insurance coverage and finances.
Surgical Weight Loss Options
North Kansas City Hospital offers a number of safe, effective and proven bariatric surgery options to help you reach your weight loss goals. Our experienced team can help you find an option that’s right for you.
Are You a Candidate?
To be considered for bariatric surgery, you are required to meet a number of criteria. In most cases, you should:
- Be at least 100 pounds overweight or have a BMI of 35 or greater. You may qualify with a lesser weight if there are serious medical problems that could be corrected or greatly improved with significant weight loss.
- Have the intellectual capacity to understand and comply with the recommended postoperative program.
- Have a history of failing to lose weight or maintain weight loss on other diet programs.
- Not have any medical conditions that would make the surgical risks prohibitive or inappropriate.
- Demonstrate a willingness to engage in lifestyle and nutritional habits known to support weight loss.
- Have support from family, spouse or close friends.
Surgery is not recommended for the mentally ill or impaired, patients known to abuse alcohol or drugs or those with an eating disorder such as bulimia.
Anyone considering bariatric surgery should attend a free Bariatric Informational Seminar
Is weight loss surgery right for you? Get help with this important decision from our online Health Library.
Benefits & Risks of Bariatric Surgery
Bariatric surgery and the ensuing weight loss helps people increase their activity and quality of life, but it also can result in a number of significant health benefits.
- 89% reduction in 5 year mortality rate with surgery. Those who receive surgery are 9 times less likely to die over the next 5 years. This improved expectancy persists over the years.
- 80% of diabetes is resolved
- 75% of hypertension is resolved
- 70% of elevated cholesterol levels are normalized
- 90% of weight loss is maintained beyond 10 years
While no surgery is risk free, minimally invasive laparoscopic bariatric surgery is safer than routine surgeries like hysterectomies or gallbladder removal. In reality, remaining obese poses significantly higher health risks than the risks associated with bariatric surgery.
- .1% mortality
- 1% leak rate (from surgery site)
- 4% complication rate
Weight loss surgery is the first step toward a longer, healthier and happier life. Get more information on costs, insurance coverage, general requirements and what you need to get started.
Register online for a FREE Bariatric Informational Session. For more information on bariatric surgery at North Kansas City Hospital, call 816-691-5048.