- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 - 1.5 cups grated zucchini
- 1/3 pound of ground turkey or chicken sausage (may use spicy or sweet)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk (skim or 1%)
- 3/4 cup of shredded cheese (reduced fat)
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaf or 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh, flat leaf parsley (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Brown sausage in skillet until thoroughly cooked. Add onions and zucchini and cook until softened.
- In large bowl whisk the eggs until slightly frothy. Add cheese, milk, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper and stir.
- Layer the bottom of the casserole dish with cooked vegetables and sausage. Pour egg mixture over the top.
- Bake for 35 minutes until the casserole is slightly puffed and just starts to brown. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 muntes before serving.
May serve hot or at room temperature.
Measure out 1/2 cup servings and store in freezer to reheat as desired.
Portions of vegetables and sausage can be adjusted to fit your taste.
Vary vegetables to incorporate more variety into your diet.
After 2 months post-op, you may substitute turkey/chicken sausage with ham if desired.