North Kansas City Hospital and The University of Kansas Cancer Center have partnered to create a cancer program at North Kansas City Hospital. The partnership manages and operates the radiation oncology program at the Hospital with physician staffing provided by The University of Kansas Cancer Center. Watch the video announcement.
Radiation + Medical Oncology
2750, Medical Plaza building
Led by longtime Northland providers Bob Pluenneke, MD, and Chris Sirridge, MD, The University of Kansas Cancer Center also operates and staffs a medical oncology program. The adjacent spaces are located in Medical Plaza, 2750 Clay Edwards Drive on the Hospital’s campus. Northland patients have access to comprehensive cancer care and more options close to home.
Expanding Patient Care
Through the partnership, patients gain greater access to treatment options including clinical trials available only at National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Centers.
- Prompt access to first appointment with cancer specialists and second-opinion appointments
- Resources and education tools, including wellness programs, support groups, cancer rehab, palliative care, pain management, hospice, nurse navigator, home health and fatigue management
- State-of-the-art radiotherapy
- Clinical research trials
- Targeted chemotherapy
- Financial counseling
- Infusion center with a warm, friendly, spa-like atmosphere offering heated treatment chairs with personal TV screens, with additional infusion available inside North Kansas City Hospital
The latest technology benefits patients through shorter treatment times and fewer side effects. Stereotactic radiation treats both intra- and extra- cranial locations.
- Trilogy Linear Accelerator with Calypso
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy
- Image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT)
- Highly conformal radiation beam delivers doses safer and faster, shortening treatment times
- Automated 2D and 3D image registration calculates patient
repositioning, enhancing precision in treatment delivery
- Expanded imaging improves patient positioning and treatment accuracy
- KV and cone-beam CT imaging
- All 2D and 3D treatment delivery
- Calypso real time imaging and localization
- CT-based simulation with 4D image
- Greater depth and detail for more
- Large capacity accommodates
patients in immobilization or bulky
- Photon and electron based therapy
National Cancer Institute
North Kansas City Hospital's radiation oncology services are provided in partnership with The University of Kansas Cancer Center, the region’s only National Cancer Institute designation.
- NCI Cancer Centers have 25% better patient survival rates.
- NCI Cancer Centers recruit the top physicians.
- Patients receive the latest evidence-based treatments proven to provide the greatest opportunity for favorable outcomes.
- Patients unresponsive to standardized treatments have additional options by participating in NCI Cancer Center-sponsored clinical trials.
Midwest Cancer Alliance
Midwest Cancer Alliance (MCA) is a membership-based organization that works to improve cancer care across the region by providing access to the latest advancements close to home. Through MCA, the Hospital now has access to major clinical trials, professional education, patient navigation services, networking and outreach opportunities. As a member, the Hospital can expand cancer care services by:
- Providing patients access to additional advanced clinical trials, including new trials developed at The University of Kansas Cancer Center
- Offering consultation and second onion services for cancer diagnoses through telemedicine, a technology that connects patient and doctor when distance separates the two
- Expanding continuing professional education and access to an established network of cancer professional in the region