Radiation therapy uses high-energy rays to slow, stop or destroy cancer cells. Technological advances in this field continue to increase the odds of beating cancer.
The Radiation Oncology Department at North Kansas City Hospital is dedicated to providing the safest, most effective radiology treatments to our patients with the least amount of side effects. Radiation therapy services are located in the Outpatient Cancer Center in Medical Plaza North.
Advanced Radiation Services
Advanced radiation services we offer include:
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) allows radiation oncologists to optimize the planning and delivery of radiation to targeted areas while minimizing radiation to healthy tissue.
- Image Guided Radiation therapy (IGRT ) uses specialized images, acquired immediately before a patient receives treatment, to guide the radiation beam to the intended target with precision.
- Accelerated partial breast irradiation using the Mammosite® radiation therapy system makes it easier for women to choose breast conservation therapy because it reduces radiation treatment from seven weeks to mere days.
- Brachytherapy involves placing radioactive seeds in or near the tumor to deliver localized radiation.
- Radioisotope therapy is a targeted radiation method using iodine to help locate and identify cancer cells.
- External beam radiotherapy directs radiation at the tumor from outside the body
- High and low energy photon therapy
- Electron therapy
- 3-Dimensional conformal radiation therapy
Get more information on radiation therapy.
Living with Cancer and Its Treatment
Skin Care During Radiation Therapy
An Introduction to External Beam Radiation Therapy (video)
Learn more about radiation therapy at our online Health Encyclopedia.
To speak with someone from our Radiation Oncology Department, call 816-691-5216.