Calcium Scoring Cardio Scan
A Calcium Scoring Cardio Scan is a painless way to determine plaque buildup that can lead to chest pain or a heart attack. This sophisticated exam can suggest the presence of heart disease even when a coronary artery is just 50 percent narrowed and not entirely blocked. Heart disease can be detected early before you experience symptoms and before a more severe problem occurs.
Take our free calcium scan quiz to help you determine if a calcium scan is right for you.
Calcium Scan Quiz - Begin Now
What Is a Scan?
Special X-ray equipment and a computer produce multiple pictures of the heart's arteries without entering the body. The images show the location and amount of calcified plaque. The test usually takes 30 minutes and is painless.
Get Immediate Answers
Your score is provided right after your test is performed so you know your findings before you leave. Results are forwarded to your primary care physician. You will receive a detailed letter of your results in the mail in 2 - 3 business days.
How to Schedule
For cost information or to schedule your Calcium Scoring Cardio Scan at North Kansas City Hospital call 816-691-5267.
Over 20 percent of initial responses to North Kansas City Hospital's Calcium Scoring Cardio Scan resulted in the need for additional follow-up care.
Talk with your doctor before scheduling a coronary calcium score if you relate to any of these categories:
- Previous coronary calcium score within the last five years
- Previously diagnosed heart disease (blockage, stent, angioplasty, heart attack, heart bypass surgery)
- Under age 40 or over age 75
- Under age 50 without any of these risk factors:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol or high triglycerides
- Cigarette smoking history
- Family history of early heart disease (younger than age 65)