Complementary & Alternative Medicine
Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) is a term used to refer to nontraditional treatment methods and products used in place of or in combination with conventional Western medicine. Integrative medicine refers to an intentional blending of conventional medicine and CAM therapies. The broad and constantly changing CAM field generally focuses on holistic approaches to healing and overall health of the body and mind to prevent illness. CAM can be used to:
- Reduce pain and decrease the need for pain medication
- Increase physical strength and mental alertness
- Strengthen the immune system
- Lessen side effects of cancer treatment
- Increase circulation
- Reduce stress, anxiety and depression and increase relaxation
Types of Complementary & Alternative Medicine
Some forms of complementary and alternative medicine include:
- Mind and body medicine such as acupuncture and meditation
- Natural products including dietary supplements and herbal medicine
- Massage and other manipulative therapies
- Energy manipulation such as Reiki, therapeutic touch and magnet therapy
CAM Options at North Kansas City Hospital
At North Kansas City Hospital, we believe in treating the whole person and offering treatment options that respect your personal needs and wishes for pursuing health and well-being. Many people turn to CAM to help manage pain and treat a wide range of conditions from gastrointestinal disorders and respiratory conditions to chronic pain and headaches. Our services include:
- Acupuncture – One of the oldest healing practices in the world, acupuncture involves stimulating specific points on the body with tiny needles or using other techniques to relieve pain and provide other benefits. Find a provider
- Acupressure – Like acupuncture, acupressure uses manual manipulation to stimulate specific acupoints on the body for various therapeutic benefits. Find a provider
- Massage – A technique used in nearly every culture around the world, massage manipulates muscles and soft tissues of the body to relieve muscle tension, reduce stress, improve circulation and for other health benefits. Get more information online or contact the Hospital Fitness Center at 816-691-5020 to schedule a massage with our licensed massage therapists.
- Healing touch – This energy-based approach uses therapeutic touch to promote physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health and healing. Contact the Hospital Fitness Center to schedule an appointment with our licensed massage therapists at 816-691-5020.
- Herbal medicine – Used for medicinal purposes since prehistoric times, herbal medicine has become increasingly mainstream with better quality control in manufacturing and as people turn to more organic remedies and alternatives to costly prescriptions drugs. Find a provider
Learn more about complementary and alternative medicine at our online Health Encyclopedia.