Choosing a Primary Care Provider
Choosing a primary care provider (PCP) is an important decision. Your PCP is often involved in your care for a long time, so it’s important to choose someone you can work well with and with whom you can build a trusting relationship.
How to Choose a Primary Care Provider
When choosing a primary care provider, consider questions such as:
- Are the provider’s office hours and location convenient for me?
- How easy is it to reach the provider? How far in advance do I have to call for an appointment?
- Does the provider focus on my needs?
- Does the provider often refer to specialists for more focused care?
- Is the provider conservative or aggressive in treatment? Ask about his or her philosophy.
- Does the provider allow me to be involved in decision making regarding my care?
Ask your friends, neighbors, relatives and other people you trust for referrals. Consider making an appointment to meet a potential provider to discuss your medical history and health concerns or talk with the office manager.
Many insurance plans limit the providers you can choose from or provide incentives for you to select from a specific list of providers. Make sure you understand your insurance carrier’s requirements before you select a provider.
Find a Primary Care Provider
North Kansas City Hospital can help you find a primary care provider who’s right for you and your family.
Find a primary care provider online or call our Physician Referral & Health Information Line at 816-221-HEAL (4325) for personal assistance.