In medical terms, “trauma” refers to serious injury inflicted on a person. Car crashes, workplace accidents, violence, fires and falls are just a few things that can cause you to become a “trauma patient.”
Lifesaving Care 24/7
North Kansas City Hospital’s Level II Trauma Center has provided lifesaving care for trauma patients from throughout the Kansas City area and Northwest Missouri for over 30 years. Our highly trained and skilled trauma team of critical care physicians, nurses and support staff are equipped and ready to serve you around the clock.
What is a Trauma Center?
A trauma center is a hospital that has additional resources and equipment to care for severely injured patients. To become a state-certified trauma center, a hospital must demonstrate adequate facilities, specialized personnel, ongoing training for personnel, continuous self-monitoring and a desire to prevent trauma.
North Kansas City Hospital is certified by the state of Missouri as a Level II Trauma Center. This achievement recognizes the hospital's dedication to providing optimal care for seriously injured patients. The certification must be renewed every five years.
Our Trauma Team
Our multidisciplinary team of specially trained trauma professionals is on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week to care for critically injured patients.
Learn more about our trauma team.
According to the Centers for Disease Control:
- Most trauma injuries and deaths can be prevented.
- Injuries are the leading cause of death for children and adults ages 1–44 in the United States.
- Motor vehicle-related crashes are the leading cause of death in the United States, killing 90 people per day on average and sending more than 4 million people to the ER each year.
- Among adults age 65 or older, falls are the leading cause of injury death. They are also the most common cause of nonfatal injuries and hospital admissions for trauma.
- If you’re severely injured, getting care at a trauma center can lower your risk of death by 25 percent or more.
Don’t be a trauma patient! Get lifesaving tips on how to keep yourself and your family safe from traumatic injury.
For questions regarding trauma services at North Kansas City Hospital, call the Trauma Service Department at 816-691-5245.